Sunday, August 23, 2009

This kiiiinda makes me want to go to jail

You guys know how much we LOVE our yellow lab puppy, Bella. Well, I was watching Oprah a couple weeks ago and there was a segment about an organization called Puppies Behind Bars. At first I thought it was going to be about puppies being abused, but I think that was just a way to get the audience's attention. Phew. I don't think I could have taken another one of those.

The organization places 8 week old puppies, mostly labs and golden retrievers, with prisoners. The puppies live with them in their cells and are around them 100% of the time. The prisoners have been taught how to train the puppies to be service dogs and explosive detecting dogs. It's a wonderful cycle of rehabilitation. I had tears streaming down my face watching the inmates talk about how the dogs had taught them to love someone/ something. Many of them were not as fortunate as many of us to be raised in loving and caring homes, so feeling and acting on this emotion were totally new experiences.
If you even kind of like dogs, you will love the videos on their website. They are amazing.

1 comment:

Katie Norwood said...

Lynch, I am bawling my eyes out after watching that video. I may have a serious problem because yesterday we were out shopping and stopped by a weekend pet adoption place. I had to leave because I was crying so hard and I wanted to take them ALL! Thanks for sharing the website - I'm glad the dogs and the prisoners are getting the love they need. Yay dogs.